Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: March Against Monsanto
Karl Haro-
von Mogel
Administrator
Post March Against Monsanto
on: May 25, 2013, 22:04

Hi all, I'm starting this forum thread to post reports and pictures from the March Against Monsanto protests. I understand some readers may have attended some of the protests, what did people see and say?

I attended the Madison protest at the Capitol Square, and when I showed up there were about 50 people in attendance. There may have been more when the protest began, but these people stuck it out halfway through the entire planned duration of the protest, and through the talks that were scheduled with the PA system they set up. The protest was on the steps of the Wisconsin State Capitol, and was quite removed from the people who

The woo was strong at this event. They had a speaker who was talking about industrial waste being used to poison our water supply... and by that he meant Fluoride. (Apparently he was pro-tooth-decay). Myths were abundant. Speakers could not go two sentences without uttering a myth, such as the GMOs killing off the bees, farmers committing suicide because of GMOs, and Monsanto not eating their own GMO food in their cafeteria. They also said that EVERY employee at the FDA worked for Monsanto, and complained about Clarence Thomas being on the Supreme Court, even though he worked for Monsanto more than 30 years ago. There was almost no discussion of real issues with GMOs or Monsanto itself, but a hairy mess of myths.

There weren't any crazy costumes that I could see, but there were some bad signs. GMOs are poison, Senator "Tammy Baldwin is a Monsanto Whore" (took a photo of that one), and GMO OMG WTF. The quality of their message was pretty low, and doubtless may have turned people off.

I was tempted to speak, and tell them about our GENERA project, but the negativity was strong in the group, and I didn't feel like it in this case. I also hadn't planned anything specific to say, but only had a few ideas in my head.

I had originally intended to do a DNA extraction demo, passing around a bag of bananas to mash up, but a last-minute test of the basic protocol didn't work. The venue was also not what I had expected - I thought it would be a closer group but they were really spread apart. The idea of extracting DNA as a demo for the group was a nice idea, however we may need to rethink how to do such a demo (or figure out something else) to accompany demonstrations like these. When you have a loud central PA system and a group of people that isn't crowded closely around one spot, how can you reach them and not be a distraction? Or how can you be a big enough distraction that people will want to pay attention to you instead? Hmm...

Anyway, what else has everyone seen or heard from these protests?

MaryM
Elite Hybrid
Post Re: March Against Monsanto
on: May 25, 2013, 22:19

My experience was very similar. Trite and false signs, confusion about the issues, and yet total confidence that banning GMOs would solve all the problems. But it wasn't well organized and I couldn't hear much of the official line. A chant would just roll over the group from time-to-time.

And it's clear they really don't want labels, they want bans. And I don't believe at all that if they got labels this would stop.

There was a lot of occupy-type rhetoric too. We also had a Boston Bombing Truther. It didn't strike me that this was about education at all, and that it wouldn't have been welcomed. It was a choir meeting of the believers.

Everyone looked really well fed.

EDIT TO ADD: I should include the Boston page. https://www.facebook.com/events/148839068610727/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

They have photos, including our GMO Truther / Bombing Truther. And lots of chemtrails.

Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 22:41

Food & Water Watch Washington linked to some photos. One set (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196444043842488&set=a.196442440509315.1073741830.147421988744694&type=3&theater) of protest signs were tied up on a fence (around a play place in Westlake Park here in Seattle) and started with "What can you do?". The full list transcribed:

• Push for labeling of GMOs and genetically engineered food & support the upcoming Washington State ballot Initiative 522!
  • Get involved! Join other community members in finding alternative solutions & create your own actions!
  • Hold Monsanto executives & Monsanto-supporting politicians accountable through direct communication, grassroots journalism, social media, etc.!
  • Continue to reveal Monsanto's secrets and expose their true agenda, which is profit above all else including the health of humans, animals and environment!
  • Avoid processed and fast food which are loaded with GMOs & chemicals and learn to cook!
  • Vote with your dollars & buy organic food. Also boycott companies that use GMOs in their products!
  • Demand the repeal of the "Monsanto Protectino Act" & insist on an inquiry into Monsanto's history of covering up the true dangers of their products.
  • Know where your food comes from. Shop at farmers' markets, buy from local farms and grocer who source local and organic foods & grow your own whenever possible!
  • Demand thorough scientific research & independent testing of all genetically engineered seeds and foods!
  • Educate yourself about the dangers of genetically engineered food and share that information with friends, relatives, neighbors & anyone else who will listen!

More photos in that photoset. If I see anything else terribly interesting, I'll add it here.

Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 22:57

Another set (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196442797175946&set=a.196442440509315.1073741830.147421988744694&type=3&theater) that Food & Water Watch Washington "liked" on Facebook asked the question "Did you know?" They were actually really great signs -- nicely printed black on white (no spelling errors) posters attached to a pole with a skull-headed scarecrow. Anyway, the full list I see on Facebook:

• Monsanto is first and foremost a chemical company. They have created genetically engineered seed to sell their chemicals, with the ultimate goal of patenting & controlling all the world's seeds.
  • Monsanto is the creator of Saccharine, Aspartame, PCBs, DDT, Agent Orange, Bovine Growth Hormone & Glyphosate which have all been linked to cancer & other health problems.
  • Monsanto's crops do not yield more than conventional or organic crops & often do worse after a few years & especially under conditions such as drought.
  • Monsanto has deep connections in the government, with many former executives currently holding key positions in the FDA, USDA, EPA, and also Supreme Court Judge.
  • Monsanto's GMO seeds & chemicals are harmful to the environment and scientists have indicated they have caused massive decline among world's bee and Monarch Butterfly populations.
  • Monsanto is responsible for their own safety testing & their seeds cannot be independently tested without their permission.
  • Monsanto's RoundUp, which is used around the world, has been linked to numerous health problems in animals & humans, including cancer & infertility.
  • Monsanto's GMOs have been banned or restricted in numerous countries & regions around the world including France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Australia, China, Egypt, etc.
  • Monsanto has been the benefactor of corporate subsidies and political favoritism. Organic & small farmers suffer losses while Monsanto continues to forge its monopoly over the world's food supply.
  • Monsanto's GMO products distory nature's foods in ways that can now rewire your body and have been shown in animal tests to cause sterility, illness and death.
Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 22:58

Sadly there were also signs against Arctic Apples (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196443810509178&set=a.196442440509315.1073741830.147421988744694&type=3&theater). :(

GregH
Segregating Population
on: May 25, 2013, 22:59

I didn't go to one (there were none nearby, and I wasn't about to drive a few hours to the nearest one), but I like this image I saw on the internet: http://i.imgur.com/9KHM5Eih.jpg I think 'Monsanto' is becoming a euphemism for GMO.

Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 23:00

Also, sigh, lots of worry about bees: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201340680216823&set=oa.513385958715910&type=1&theater

Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 23:04

This one (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519086358153037&set=oa.620614877964513&type=1&theater) is depressing. Text is: "Glyphosate can harm or kill any living creature unless you have been genetically modified".

Rachael-
Ludwick
Elite Hybrid
on: May 25, 2013, 23:08

The other sad part of the Seattle protest were signs and slogans protesting the Gates Foundation (e.g. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=456774537741252&set=a.456824031069636.1073741827.102589083159801&type=1&theater) :(

James-
Cooper
Segregating Population
on: May 26, 2013, 08:30

There wasn't one close enough, but their web site made it clear how confused and uninformed they are. It is clear that there is a great deal of money behind all of this, since there were demonstrations in hundreds of communities and 30 countries. http://occupy-monsanto.com/ lists all of them.

An Occupy Science counter-protest comes to mind.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.165 seconds.