Are you interested in writing a post for the Biofortified Blog, but unsure what to write about? Here are some ideas to help you brainstorm. We talk a lot about science on the blog, but you do not have to be a scientist to make a great contribution!
Whatever you decide to write about, whether you are a new contributor or a regular author, it is always helpful to consult us on your chosen topic before you start writing. The editors can help turn an idea into a post, and can help new authors get started.
- Plants, Genetics, Biotechnology. The Biofortified Blog’s primary focus is on biotechnology, plant genetics, plant breeding, and similar topics. If you are a plant scientist, geneticist, breeder, or other scientist with expertise in this area, this is a great way for you to contribute. You could talk about the science, or one of the many issues that intersect the science.
- Agriculture. There are many interesting topics in agriculture, and we love to talk about them. You could write about cover crops, fertilizers, pesticides, organics, environmental impact, climate change, land use, farmer’s markets, and more! We want to hear diverse voices and first person accounts.
- Food. Who doesn’t love talking about food? You could write about nutrition, culture and traditions, modernization, big and small producers, world hunger, food distribution, and even write about some of your personal views on food. Do you have a recipe that you want to share? So many possibilities!
- Ethics. What are the ethical issues around science, agriculture, and food? What are the ethical implications of new innovations in crops, food, or production practices? Are laws leading to ethical consequences, or taking us down the wrong path? You can help our readers consider important ethical issues.
- Education. Are students learning enough about where their food comes from? What are innovative ways to reach more people? Will the public be able to make good decisions based on current knowledge? If you are an educator, you could write about your own experiences.
- Politics, Law, Regulations. Are you a lawyer, policy geek, or someone who thinks about the consequences of current or future political movements and laws? Is there a better way to regulate new plants? There are all kinds of opportunities for someone interested in this topic on a professional or casual level to contribute to the discussion. Note: The Biofortified Blog is not partisan and will not accept political party statements or contributions that seek to politically polarize the discussion.
- News and Media. How is the media covering science, ag, and food? You could write a short summary of some interesting news, or comment on the media’s coverage of important issues. Help keep everyone informed on those who inform us!
- Interviews. Interviews with scientists and others are a great way to contribute and pass off the writing to someone else! But you still have to write good questions. We can help put together questions, and so can our readers. If you have an idea about someone to interview, check with us first. Please don’t contact someone to do an interview for the Biofortified Blog without knowing whether it will be a good fit. We can also contact your interviewee for you, which might make it more likely that you will get the interview. Visit our Interviews page to learn more.
- Art, Music, Video. Maybe you don’t have a writer’s touch, or perhaps you’ve just got this itch to draw cartoons or make music that would interest our readers. Feel like videotaping yourself with your plants and telling us something cool about them? We can feature it on the blog, and upload it to our YouTube channel.
If there is something you want to write about or produce as a contribution to the blog, please ask us before you put a lot of work into it. We may be able to provide advice and make sure that your work is a great success!