- Can I write about whatever I want? Yes and no. We let our contributors choose what to write about, but you should consider topics that we regularly discuss on the blog. See What to Write About for topic ideas, and feel free to contact us to check before you write.
- Can I submit a post I wrote for my own blog? Yes! Republishing content you have written is a great way to bring more people into the discussion. Make sure to link to the original source in your post, and if you wrote it for someone else, make sure you have their permission.
- Can I republish something that someone else has written? Maybe. You need to secure permission from the copyright owner. As with republishing posts and articles from your own site, you need to link to the original source within your post. Send us a copy of the permission provided from the owner.
- Do I get paid to write posts? No. Authors are not paid. We are a non-profit organization with a very small budget.
- Can other people pay me to write articles? No. We do not accept paid posts. However, if you are paid to write by a news organization or another blog, you can re-post those articles with permission, and you must link to the original source within the post.
- I work for a biotech company, can I write an article? Yes. Your post should be your own personal views and not the views of your company. We require that contributors write with their real name and disclose any financial conflicts of interest in their profile. Please consult with the public relations office in your company to make sure you have permission and that you are using appropriate disclaimers.
- I represent a biotech company, can I write about our new product? No. The Biofortified Blog is not a place to advertise. However, if you are interested in answering questions about your product in an interview, contact us.
- I work for the government, can I write an article? Yes. We welcome posts by government employees and elected officials. Please consult with your supervisor and ethics office to make sure you have permission and that you are using appropriate disclaimers. If you want to promote a specific policy, bill, amendment, etc., it would be best to contact us; an interview may be a more appropriate format.
- I do not like GMOs and I think they should be stopped. Can I write an article? Yes! Interesting, original opinion posts are welcome, but keep in mind that we are interested in fact-based discussion. Be sure to differentiate between established fact and your opinions.
- I love GMOs and I think they are going to solve all our problems. Can I write an article? Yes! Interesting, original opinion posts are welcome, but keep in mind that we are interested in fact-based discussion. Be sure to differentiate between established fact and your opinions.
- I just published a peer-reviewed paper! Can I write a post about it? Yes! This is a great way to communicate your research to a wider audience, and we would be happy to help you get a discussion going. Be careful about over-reaching with preliminary data; delineate between what your paper demonstrated and things that have yet to be demonstrated.
- I discovered that ____ is going to cause ____! Can I publish this on the blog?As a science-based organization, we encourage you to first seek publication in a reputable peer-reviewed journal, and to validate your results with a 3rd party.
- I read something on the Biofortified Blog that I disagree with. Can I write a rebuttal? Yes. We encourage you to begin by commenting on the post you disagree with. If you have a lot to say, an article may be the best way to continue the discussion. If there are errors in a post, we may ask the author to address them, post a correction, or pull the post entirely. Contact us and describe any errors, with sources for correct information.
- Can I call someone a liar, fraud, shill, or lackey in my post? To accuse someone of intentionally being deceptive is a heavy charge, one that we do not take lightly. There may be legal consequences for yourself and our blog if these claims are false. Per our Comment Policy, please avoid making such accusations. If someone is being intentionally deceptive, you should have very specific, verifiable evidence of this, which is difficult to obtain. If it needs to be said, it needs to be backed up. You post will be rejected if you go too far.
- Can I write a post in a language other than English? Yes. We are interested in reaching a wider audience. You could write in another language, translate to English, and we could publish both versions.
- I don’t understand how to submit a post. Help? For information on how to write and submit your post, see the WordPress Tutorial.
Still have questions?
Feel free to contact us, or ask questions in the comment section below. We will add your question to this page, then delete the comment.