Blogs about biotechnology
- GMO Ireland Shane Morris’s “blow by blow commentary on the GM food debate in Ireland. A commentary based on facts and not the spin of eirther the Pro-GMOers or Anti-GMOers.”
- Letters Cathal Garvey of the Cancer Research Centre in Cork, Ireland writes about “Synthetic Biology, DIYbio, Creative Commons, Rapid Prototyping, and other Fun Stuff”.
- List of biotechnology blogs
Blogs about ethics
- Bioethics in Brief Clark Wolf writes this quarterly publication from the Iowa State Bioethics Department. Topics include biotechnology, stem cells, labeling, sustainability, and more.
- Biotech Ethics Chris MacDonald discusses “ethical issues in the biotechnology industry. That includes all 3 main areas of that industry: health biotech, food biotech, and industrial biotech.”
- The Food Ethics Blog Chris MacDonald discusses “ethical issues that arise in growing, shipping, processing, selling, regulating, and eating food.”
Blogs about food and nutrition
Blogs about genetics
- The Barcode Blog Mark Stoeckle’s “mostly scientific blog about short DNA sequences for species identification and discovery.”
Blogs about hunger and undernutrition
Blogs about plant biology, plant biodiversity, plant breeding...
- Agricultural Biodiversity Weblog Luigi Guarino and Jeremy Cherfas “collect in one place anything we find on the internet that relates somehow to the notion of agricultural biodiversity”.
- Killer Plants “Devoted to the mystery and excitement of botanical connections that make our lives, our civilizations possible.”
- Maize Research An information hub for all things maize. Our goal is to facilitate communication about maize research between researchers of different fields and with non-scientists. We also hope to encourage an appreciation for the wonder crop of the Americas – corn.
- The Fruit Blog The Evil Fruit Lord’s “discussion of fruit and fruit breeding.”
Blogs about science and skepticism
- Skeptoid Brian Dunning “blasts away the widespread pseudosciences that infect popular culture, and replaces them with way cooler reality.”
- Truth or Scare Junk Science Mom
Blogs by Biofortified's authors
Blogs by biotechnology companies and biotech friendly organizations
- AgBiotech@Bio The Council for Biotechnology Information’s 2009 BIO conference news ‘blog’
- Beyond the Rows “A Monsanto Company blog focused on one of the world’s most important industries, agriculture. Monsanto employees write about Monsanto’s business, the agriculture industry, and the farmer.”
- Malaysia4Biotech The Malaysian Biotechnology Information Centre (MABIC) strives “to provide a platform where important issues in biotechnology can be explored and discussed.”
Organizations that are generally in favor of biotechnology
Organizations that generally advocate against biotechnology
- The Nature Institute Advocate a holistic approach to science and favors the precautionary principle when it comes to biotechnology.
Resources about agriculture
Resources about biotechnology
- AgBiotechNet: Supporting your research in agricultural biotechnology Provides a database of indexed abstracts.
- Biosafety Institute for Genetically Modified Agricultural Products BIGMAP provides “science-based analysis of the risks and benefits of genetically modified plant and animal products. It will provide guidance and education to help safeguard consumers and the environment.”
- DNA for Dinner Lessons about DNA, genetics, biotech, and more from UC Davis. Fun for youths and adults.
- FAO Biotechnology in Food and Agriculture
- Greenomes Laboratory and bioinformatics exercises to introduce students to modern plant genetics and genome research.
- Information Systems for Biotechnology ISB “provides information resources to support the environmentally responsible use of agricultural biotechnology products. Here you will find documents and searchable databases pertaining to the development, testing and regulatory review of Genetically En
- Learn Genetics Teaching tools from the University of Utah.
- National Research Council of Canada – Plant Biotechnology Institute
- Plant Science Institute, Agricultural Research Organization, Israel Israel’s largest research organization in the broad fields of plant biology, agro-technology, and agro-environmental issues.
- Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects This book by the National Academies Press is available online in full.
- UC Davis Seed Biotechnology Center The mission of the Seed Biotechnology Center is to mobilize the research, educational and outreach resources of UC Davis in partnership with the seed and biotechnology industries to facilitate discovery and commercialization of new seed technologies for a
- UCBiotech Science based information on agricultural biotechnology, including school curricula.
Resources about science
- Connexions Offering open-source courses on a variety of subjects, including engineering, science policy, nanotechnology, and much more.
- Learn.Genetics – Genetic Science Learning Center Learn all you want to know about genetics from the University of Utah. Includes great animations!
- Plant Clippings 12 principles of plant biology explored in films by high school students.
Editor’s Notes: Inclusion of blogs and websites on this list does not indicate endorsement by Biofortified.org or any of its authors. Only blogs and websites that demonstrate a fact-based approach (i.e. avoiding the use of sources that aren’t peer-reviewed) will be included in this list. If you wish to suggest a blog or website, please visit our Forum.